Friday, September 28, 2012

What to see this weekend (LOOPER): 9/28-30

The last few weekends I recommended that you see The Master if you wanted to see some of the finest performances and some of the most beautiful cinematography you'll ever see. If you still haven't seen it then I suggest you try to at some point but something far more entertaining and important hits theaters today that you simply have to see, so it can wait...

Looper is Rian Johnson's third feature film and it is by far his biggest, and most enjoyable. For those of you who haven't seen any commercials or trailers for this film, it's a sci-fi noir about time travel, and hit men.

Before I continue I want to promise you that there are absolutely no spoilers in this. Everything I'm telling you comes from the trailers and commercials I've seen.

"Loopers" are assassins who kill people sent back in time and dispose of their bodies so that they are erased from the future. Joseph Gordon Levitt plays one of these "loopers" and is faced with the tough task of disposing of his future self played by Bruce Willis. Both actors give top notch performances, and JGL continues to show why he will be a big name in Hollywood for years to come.

I will leave it at that. I want to write more about the plot because I am still grinning ear to ear from what I just saw, but I could never give anything in a movie away before someone sees it, without it being a complete accident. I have in the past done it by accident and I still feel like a total dick about it so that's the kind of person I am. I'd let you know what spoiler I said to the person but then I'd be giving away something in a classic movie that maybe one of my readers hasn't seen. I can't take that risk. I have to carry what little integrity I have left to make sure it never happens again.

I will however state that Looper has many tricks up it's sleeves and will keep you on your toes as a viewer throughout. It's probably the most challenging sci-fi/action film since 2010's Inception and while it may not look as clean and crisp as a Nolan film, it doesn't skimp out on the violence and profanity. That being said none of the action or dialogue seems over the top and completely fits with the story presented. Rian Johnson creates a world that is so true to itself that you are completely engrossed in the narrative and easily gloss over things that most time travel movies leave you itching your scalp trying to understand.

I highly recommend that you go out and see this movie. It's the most inventive film I've seen in years and it will lock you to your seat, cause you to drop your jaw several times, and leave you thinking about it well after you see it. In my opinion, it's probably the best action movie I've seen all year, surpassing The Avengers and even The Dark Knight Rises. I'll have to think about it more and maybe see it a few more times before I can definitively make that distinction, but right now I am completely head over heels for this movie.

Fuck everything else that's out right now. Go see Looper.

Oh and remember Rian Johnson's name because he just became a pretty big swinging dick in Hollywood my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment