Monday, February 20, 2012

Movies in 2011: The Oscar Scramble

The "Oscar Scramble" is in full effect as the Academy Awards approach this Sunday night.

The "Oscar Scramble" is basically a last minute attempt to see as many of the nominated movies as possible. I have managed to see nearly every movie nominated for Best Picture in the last decade. There are a few exceptions but I just didn't get around to those movies, or had no interest in seeing them. Usually I see all the movies nominated even if I don't have any interest in them.

This year going into the final weekend I have only seen 3 of 9 movies that are nominated. Now in the past when there were only 5 nominations if I had only seen 3 of them going into the last weekend it wouldn't be that difficult. This year I would need to see 6 movies by Sunday night if I wanted to see all the movies nominated for best picture. That plainly just isn't happening, not because I don't have the time, but because most of the nominations look boring as fuck.

It's tough to write about all this stuff this year because I'm so disenchanted by the awards themselves. First of all, I may have not seen Extremely Loud and Incredibly (lame) Close, but I know for a fact that it doesn't deserve one fucking bit of an Oscar nomination for best picture. The subject matter of the movie forces the audience to be emotional before it even starts and kind of forces you to try and enjoy the movie. Also pretty much anything Tom Hanks related has been utter shit for the last 10 years (aside from The Pacific and Toy Story 3). How he thought he was the right fit for Robert Langdon in the DaVinci Code movies just boggles my mind.

I could go on about how stupid that is but I'll save everyone time by just saying one more time that Tom Hanks is an asshole.

I've already said that I plain and simply don't give a shit about The Artist and it will remain that way. I watched (slept through) more than my fair share of silent films in college, I don't need to see a modern one. I also hate looking at that fucking Jean Dujardin guy. There's something about his face that makes me unhappy when I look at it. You could say that I'm not really open minded if I write a movie off before I see it, but most of the people who will say it's the best movie of the year probably didn't even see most of the other nominations anyway.

I plan on fitting Tree of Life and the Help into my schedule very soon. I also plan on seeing Hugo at some point and I know I will enjoy that movie quite a bit.

That's the extent of where I'm willing to go for the best picture nominations. I'd see War Horse but it's only playing in one theater near me and that theater sucks.

Hopefully I can catch Warrior, Young Adult and Shame as well before the awards. I know Charlize Theron and Michael Fassbender aren't nominated, but I want to see how badly they were snubbed.

Those are the only movies that are nominated that I need to see before I make my final top 10 of 2011. Once I can differentiate my top 10 and my notable mentions you will see two more installments of movies of 2011. Just bear with me while I catch up.


No comments:

Post a Comment