Friday, February 10, 2012

Friends With Kids

I figured I would take a break from my review of the films of 2011 to talk a little bit about a film from the future. Oh and this is not my personal thoughts on my friends that have kids, it's about a movie. Although if you really want me to write about people my age who have kids, then I'll just write out the instructions on the back of a condom.

After taking a really late nap last night from about 9 pm, till about 2 am I've been aimlessly browsing the net wasting a sufficient amount of my life.

One of the ways I keep up on current and future films is by constantly checking apple trailers to see what they post. They do a pretty good job posting the most recent trailers of the biggest blockbusters and manage to fit in a lot of the pretentious indie stuff that I enjoy watching. A lot of these things I've already read brief synopsis' and taglines about because I spend a large amount of time clicking name after name on imdb, learning all of the projects that my favorite actors, futures hold. I'm sure that was a lot of bad grammar but bear with me, I write like I talk; poorly.

Around 4 am I jump on apple trailers just as I'm winding down to take another crack at this thing people refer to as "sleep". I browse over the trailers on the first page and towards the bottom I see one called Friends With Kids. I'll start out by saying that it is rare that a trailer gets that far down the page without me at least clicking it and going to the next page to see what the cast consists of but because of the Super Bowl ( :'( ), they have been posting all the big game spots and in no apparent order.

So basically, I was intrigued by the fact that this has managed to sneak past my radar. Especially because I was on it last night for hours watching the Bourne Legacy trailer over and over. All of these thoughts zoomed through my head in basically a millisecond as I read the title which led me to my second series of thoughts.

Now I'll be the first to say that I have a serious case of ADD that was never addressed when I was younger. It is very rare that I can put two coherent thoughts together and often times forget how a sentence started when I'm reading or writing. More so when reading though. The only times I can actually get anything done are when I do them extremely fast late at night without thinking too much or being distracted, or if I have a deadline that absolutely forces me to focus.

See, I just digressed for no apparent reason. A lot of this is why I write long-winded things to describe one singular thought in my head. At least it's somewhat entertaining trying to read the swirl of chaos that fills my brain on a minute to minute basis.

I digressed again. What I'm trying to say is that the first thought that popped into my head after I really thought about the title Friends With Kids was, "Please make this movie be a comedy biopic of Jerry Sandusky." Not that you ever could make a comedy movie about the monster that is Jerry Sandusky, or that you should ever think molestation is in any way funny, you have to admit in a strange, farcical world, the idea of this is funny. Fortunately nobody like me exists in this world so we can be thankful that a heartwarming comedy biopic about Jerry Sandusky probably wont ever exist.

However I would not be the least bit surprised if they made a movie about him and painted him out to be the victim. Some people really love that twisted shit and it would be seen as "artistic" and "eye-opening". A lot of asshole-y, pretentious, self proclaimed "artistic" people live off of weird. I guarantee some people would see it as daring and different, as opposed to how they should see it, which is not at all. If you don't believe me that people would see a movie like this just watch this clip from the 1998 film Happiness. Warning, the clip is very fucked up, and is about a man talking to his son about fucking kids and what not. The whole movie is about pedophilia, suicide, murder, masturbation, and you get the idea. The screenplay for this movie was actually nominated for best screenplay at the Golden Globes.

So now you get what I mean when I say that people really do like this kind of fucked up shit. Same goes for Gus Van Sant's Elephant, which is about a school shooting by kids who seem normal but are victims of society. I'm sorry but a movie that tries to point out that society has made us violent, only gives us more ideas. It's a good thing that nobody sees your movies anyway, Gus (other than Good Will Hunting).

So that is where my brain went for the first two seconds before I clicked on the thumbnail for the Friends With Kids trailer. When I saw the cast I realized that it was a comedy and got pretty excited because Jon Hamm, Kristin Wiig, Adam Scott, and other great comedic actors filled the cast and it has promise to be a good indie-ish type comedy. The trailer didn't make me laugh really that much, but I still look forward to it.

Still, when I first read that title my mind went from thinking about the fact that I hadn't seen the trailer and it was far down a page that I visit frequently, the name of the movie made me think of a Jerry Sandusky movie, and how some people would actually enjoy a movie about Jerry Sandusky. I like sad/depressing movies, but lets stop making movies that make everyone uncomfortable. If I'm uncomfortable thinking about the topic in general, and can't really comprehend it, it's probably because I don't want to think about it, and don't really want to comprehend it. Just because some people have the ability to empathize with pedophiles, doesn't mean I have to.

I don't really know why I wrote this, or why I'm still awake, but sometimes you've just got to blog about pointless shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment